Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Internship

This blog post may seem dry to some people that read it but Internship was a great experience and not one that can be put in words easily!

From September to December I was at Cornerstone Christian School (CCS) in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan for my internship.  I had only been there a few times and once was for grade 8 basketball and another time was to say hello to my high school football coach and to meet the vice principal because my brothers said I needed to.  Grade 8 basketball we were just in and out, but when I went back as a high school graduate to meet the staff and see my old football coach I felt instantly welcomed.  I was there at lunch and I ended up staying for the full 40 minutes just talking and asking questions about teaching.  I instantly got along and felt a good connection with the people I have met.  Later on at my brothers grade 8 grad who attended the school I ran into Berhns (Vice Principal) again and we began talking how I was a couple years from my internship.  The idea was brought to my attention that I could potentially go to CCS for it.  I began thinking about it and the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea.
When it came time to sign up for internship again I called in and asked if I could still do it there and I was given the “ok”!  I went through a lot of back and forth with placement, but I finally got into the school.  A few reasons I chose to move back to Moose Jaw was first off for my family.  My brothers who are in grade 10 are going through that awkward stage in their life and I felt like as their older brother I should be there for them and I’m glad I had the opportunity to do so.  My sister who is 5 years old and in kindergarten is growing up so fast and I don’t know where I will be after I graduate and get a job and I want her to know who her brother is.  My parents,  I’ve just felt like the 3 years I was in university I was really distant from them and I just wanted to be able to build a closer relationship with them.  My grandma which was who I was going to live with during my time in Moose Jaw again I have just been distant and wanted to be there for her and repair a relationship I feel I was part of the downfall of.  
All that being said I get to school for the first prep days and see my cooperating teacher Lucy Dalgarno and instantly we get along and I can tell it is going to be a good year.  I also found out I would be working with Brett Young and Al Block who was my football my grade 12 year.  Although a little nervous having this group of teachers to work with excited me more than anything.  Although these were my 3 main staff I would be with there were several others in the building who were always willing to talk to me and help me out no matter what.  There was not a day that I dreaded going into work because the people were just so awesome.  If ever I was having a bad day someone in the building would always take a minute to talk to me and just give me encouragement to keep going.
If I wrote about my whole experience it would take forever so I will just get to my class.  I mainly had a grade 8 class and I taught mostly every subject.  I had 31 students which included 20 girls and 11 boys.  I think at the start they wanted to test me and see how far they could push me like any grade 8 class would.  I think early on we got into a good routine together and as time went on I became more consistent.  By November the thought of leaving this group of kids upset me because I knew it was fast approaching.  They would always say, “you should teach here” and tell me not to leave.  All their statements I wish were true and I wish I could have stayed there with them.  They through me a little party on the last day which they themselves set up and I was just so happy that in the end of all the obstacles we went through together they were going to miss me and me them.  I pushed them to do their best and I never let anything rest, if there was a problem I would bring it to light to see if they would make a change on their own and they would.
My last day I was brought on stage in front of the whole school where I got a little choked up saying my goodbyes.  Saying goodbye to the students was a weird feeling because every day for 4 months we were together majority of the time.  I would be lying if I said it wasn’t the toughest day of internship.  Later on went for lunch with all the staff and had our good byes.  It was tough to say bye to such a wonderful staff as well.  The part that really got me is when I went back to the school and cleaned out my desk and everything there just fit into a little bin.  The bin wasn’t even that heavy and I thought how could 4 months of great memories just fit into this little bin.  I stood in the classroom for a while and my only hope was that something I said will one day make a positive difference in one of the students lives.
Not a day goes by that I don’t miss Internship for the staff and students.  I wish I could go back and hang out more than I have.  I owe the staff at that building a huge thank you for helping me through tough times, school and life.

Obviously this blog post could go on to fill a decent sized book, but I just wanna give thanks to everyone at that building who made internship awesome!
Special Thanks to (in no particular order): Lucy Dalgarno, Brett Young,  Al Block,  Rodger Gregor, Carrie Hlady, Lee Behrns,  Dwight Cameron, Janis Schultz, and Christina Flamand

#ECMP355 #Internship

Thank you for taking time out of your day to view my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment